When Death Occurs
When a death occurs in your family, you will be faced with important tasks and decision making during a very difficult time. You may not know what to do or when to begin making arrangements. Bearing the responsibility can be overwhelming. We will assist you during this process at the arrangement conference.
- After a death has occurred, notify us by calling 203-372-6543. The following are some questions that we may ask when you call:
- What is the full name of the deceased?
- What is the location of the deceased (Hospital, Nursing Facility or Residence)?
- What is your name, address and telephone number?
- What is the name, address and phone number of the next-of-kin?
We will then set an appointment time for you to come to the funeral home to complete the details of the funeral arrangement. We will ask you to bring in some items and information that will be necessary to complete the arrangement. These items will include:
- Clothing for the deceased
- Social security number of the deceased
- The deceased's birth date and city and state of birth
- The deceased's parents names, including mother's maiden name
- Information about the deceased's education
- Marital status of the deceased
- Veteran's discharge papers or Claim Number
- A recent photograph of the deceased
- The funeral home will assist you in determining the number of copies of the death certificates that you will need and will order them for you
- Decide on an appropriate charity to which gifts may be made (church, hospice, library, organization, school)
- If Social Security checks are deposited automatically, notify the bank of the death
- Select 6 pallbearers and notify the funeral home. (People with heart or back difficulties may be named honorary pallbearers)
- Notify insurance companies of the death
- Your funeral director will prepare the necessary Social Security forms